Being an expat and living most of the year in another nation other than my mother or home nation has afforded me some special Lemon Moments.
It is always interesting how I can think I have communicated so clearly and completely only to find that I haven't. Even such a small thing as saying "haven't" vs "have not" can make a huge difference in another country where English is a 2nd language. The little nuances of English such as the hyphenated words of do not (don't), have not (haven't), is not (isn't), can make communication challenging until you learn to say "do not" versus "don't". Some of these communication hiccups can be avoided through good planning, and some will just happen because we speak and think in another language and cultural perspective. And these moments can definitely be Lemon Moments!
- We had to avoid the frustration trap
- We had to avoid the complaining trap
- We had to avoid the poor me trap
- We had to avoid the blaming trap
- We had to think outside of our box...the schedule we had set for the day
- We had to do what I call "mental gymnastics" and find a positive alternative
- Then putting on a smile vs a frown or scowl...we moved forward into our detour plan
A bike ride in Ciputra! AND what a beautiful time of day to have this activity and what beauty we enjoyed...(I have shared some pictures from our trek). Then when we got back from this refreshing detour, the electricity was on again and we could continue with our other tasks...like writing this blog. LOL!
One of the bits of wisdom I have shared with people as they are in the middle of pain, grief, and just tough stuff...smile and see the good that still surrounds you!
So, I would encourage you to enjoy some lemonade today when you get some lemons delivered into your life!